Michael Phelps has officially apologized for smoking marijuana after a picture was published in the United Kingdom’s News of the World, the New York Daily News reported.

The picture of the famous swimmer was shot during a Nov. 6 party at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, where he was visiting a co-ed.

Phelps was asked if he wanted to smoke marijuana. He said yes and was then led to a back room, the newspaper writes.

Phelps said yesterday he was sorry for his actions, issuing a public apology. “I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment,” Phelps said.

“I’m 23 years old and despite the successes I’ve had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me.”

He continued by saying he was “sorry” and vowing to his fans that this was a one-time mistake. “I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again.”

0 comments